Thursday, April 18, 2013

Pelee Warblers and other FOY birds

This afternoon I decided to head into Pelee for an  hour and a half after work.  Initially I wanted to go into the Woodland Nature Trail to look for one of the many Louisiana Waterthrushes there this week, however with storms rolling in I decided that the trail with some of the largest trees was not the place I wanted to be.

The winds were picking up out of the west around 4pm, so I decided to take a walk along one of my favourite trails whenever we get strong west winds, the little seasonal trail that starts at Blue Heron Picnic shelter.  Though the trail is short, I find myself spending lots of time there as the birding can be great!  This is one of my favourite spots to bird in May because there is hardly anyone birding there!..I know, I can be a recluse sometimes...

Often I will not only bird the seasonal trail, but walk the road up to Sanctuary and then down the west side. If the birding is really good, I sometimes walk to the front gates especially in the evening as birds slowly make their way north in the park.  This evening I only made it along the seasonal trail as it started to thunder. Though the winds were picking up and I could hear the waves on the west beach, the birds and myself were sheltered.  The little trail didn't disappoint with a few FOY birds.  Here is a short list of some highlights:

Blue-grey Gnatcatcher: 4
Yellow Warbler: 1
Red-eyed Vireo: 1
Black-and-white Warbler: 1
Ruby-crowned Kinglet: 25
Red-breasted Nuthatch: 1
White-throated Sparrow: 10
American Tree Sparrow: 4
Eastern Towhee: 1
Brown Thrasher: 1
Hermit Thrush: 1
Yellow-rumped Warbler: 3
Pine Warbler: 1
Palm Warbler:1
Winter Wren: 3
Carolina Wren: 2
Dark-eyed Junco: 15
Song Sparrow: 5

Eventually it began to pour rain and I had to head back.  No camera this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment